Castle Marrach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How tall are you?

+10
Maireath
Filusae
TrueCalamity
Harabec
Enamar
Venture
Josie_Brennan
Ammanas
Susan
Kaira
14 posters
Go down
Kaira
Kaira

How tall are you?   Empty How tall are you?

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm
Sooooo, I was told this use to be a neat thread we'd have and I thought I'd revive it.  How tall is your character?

Kaira is a below-average, curvaceous woman of delicately freckled complexion with a head of flowing ginger hair, waist-length and worn in a messy braid with wisps of hair falling loose.  <- So since google says the 'average' is 5'4 I have made Kaira 5'3.  In her head though <.< Totally 5'6.

How tall are you?   Height10

This is 5'3 in comparison to 6'0 which I assume is the general 'average' of the tall people in the castle.

Susan, Filusae and Kathris verily approve this post

Susan
Susan

How tall are you?   Empty Re: How tall are you?

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18 am
I'm 5'3" in real life! I made Susan 5'2" so that it's not too far outside of my lived experience but still a bit short.

Historians and archaeologists talking about how big medieval people were is always fun ... while a lot of people probably were kinda scrawny compared to modern times due to poor nutrition, it's not necessarily true that they were all as big as the tiny doors you see in medieval castles. I'm not an Actual Historian (tm) but I imagine medieval people were probably less malnourished than Victorian-era city people in some ways because at least they would have got a lot more fresh air and sunlight etc. Medieval castle doors were made tiny on purpose because:

1) It improves the insulation of the room a little bit
2) If a strapping six foot tall knight in armour is coming to murder you, making them stoop to enter the doorway will help you to gain a little bit of time to run away OR it will give you an opportunity to brain them as they poke their head into the room

Kaira verily approves of this post

Ammanas
Ammanas

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 am
In my mind, Ammanas is 5'11'' or so, because it was my understanding that was 'tall' for a medieval period when I made him way back. When most the Castle is 'tall' though, it's more just average height.

Josie_Brennan
Josie_Brennan

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 pm
Josie is 5'2"ish also. It seemed on the old thread that was the typical for 'short', with 'very short' being at or just below 5'0".

First Acolyte of the Faith
Honored Guest
Beautician
Nurse
Junior Awakener
Royal Artist
Senior Stylist
Wine Consultant

Venture
Venture

Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:49 pm
Turns out "above-average" leads to unfortunate situations when the average height of a character is pretty tall!

Personally, I see Venture as more of a 5'8" or 5'9" in height. Not exactly towering, but not short either.

In a long forgotten snow.

Enamar
Enamar

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm
I never considered Enamar being 'tall' in terms of a specific height, only as a way to compare himself to others. He's roughly the height of a 'tall' person, taller than 'above average' and shorter than 'towering' but not excessively tall. In reality, I am 6'2 (according to my latest health check) and so Enamar is likely 'tall' in the same way that I am tall - he's a good height, but not a giant among men.

If anything, I think Enamar's more defined by not being as muscular as more martial types (like his sera, for example) and being slender. He's a mid-20s caffeine-addicted dancer who is deceptively string - he has carried a number of other guests around as part of his job - but not weak either. He's tall, but not big.

edit:
Turns out "above-average" leads to unfortunate situations when the average height of a character is pretty tall!
Factor in the number of servants and cooks and couriers, then recall that Getheaht raises specific souls to suit an unknown goal of Queen Vivienne - average is mortal average and we are the heroes (and villains) of the castle. So 'above average' could just mean taller than your average NPC.

"If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you?"

Harabec

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm
This has always been a curious discussion within the game because we all typically compare the height of characters to our current idea of what height is wherein people may have been shorter in medieval times. There is no real standard but I believe most people compare height to characters against current values of short-tall. That being said, we do have a very tall population within the castle for characters which as Amma's player pointed out, makes something like 5'11 more of an average for the game but still tall vs real life.

TrueCalamity
TrueCalamity

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:37 am
Calamity is 5'8" or thereabouts.

Filusae
Filusae

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:25 am
Filusae stands somewhere between 4"9 and 4"11... She can make 5"0 or thereabouts on tiptoe.

How tall are you?   Ovrik_skull_by_filusae_dg9o3c2-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjQ4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYmMyMTczNGMtODBiMC00NGJmLTg3MzUtZTBkOWUwNTRkNTU5XC9kZzlvM2MyLTI5ZDY2YjYyLWM0YTktNDQ2Zi05N2JhLWRiZTc0MmY1MWJmZi5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MjA2In1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0

Maireath
Maireath

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:21 am
Maireath is probs about 5'5" and earnestly hopes that he will grow taller. He has not yet realized that 'not ageing' also means 'not growing".

Heulyn
Heulyn

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:43 am
Heulyn has generally been around 5'10"-5'11" - not nearly as tall as her sister but alllllllmost.

Takara
Takara

Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 pm
In the ooooooooooold thread, it was generally agreed that average for women started at 5'3" to around 5'7" iirc, so 5'3" is where I have put Umi's average height as. A hair short (heh) of falling into the "short" category, but with lots and lots of 'tude. (Medium, above average, and below average did not exist into char gen back then.)

Then again, considering how many tall and super tall characters we have, she's probably considered "short" anyway. Smol but deadly.

Caillean
Caillean
Location : Probably surrounded by books or a pile of fabric somewhere.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:10 am
I think that Cai's around 5'10ish, I've never thought too hard about her height tbh. She's above average though, but not towering, so I think that sounds about right.

How tall are you?   8557f745172e5121e8bf0da51d1a651b

Auriela
Auriela

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:59 pm
Auriela, in her "average" height, stands more on the shorter side at about 5'4". It's totally average.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum