Castle Marrach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Elaynie

Stars Above: An Examination of an Astrolabe Empty Stars Above: An Examination of an Astrolabe

Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:21 pm

Eighth Day, Third Moon
Twenty-fifth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of Stars Above: An Examination of An Astrolabe.

The Outer Bailey’s Library was not just full of books Sun’s afternoon as denizens from the castle gathered to participate in Stars Above, a research group dedicated to Astronomy and Astrology. The series of discussions had begun in the Twenty-fourth Year of Recent Awakenings, but after a break, they had begun once more.

After refreshments were had and greetings were given, ser Daiomonion introduced the topic the group was to be exploring that day- the examination of an astrolabe. The object, as well as some star maps, had been acquired during the Yarrnival in the Twenty-second Year of Recent Awakenings. With proper use “it gives the exact time as accurately as the clock mechanism of the Clock Tower could give.”

The instrument itself could be described thusly: An astrological instrument made of bronze, about six inches in diameter, and engraved with a map of the stars used for solving problems relating to time and the position of celestial objects in the sky. It consists of moveable components on both the front and back that, once adjusted, can show the location of stars at specific dates and times.

Ser Daiomonion elaborated on the device, saying that “[i]ts most common usage is the solving of problems concerning astronomy and time keeping, but the full range of its capabilities is much larger: solving problems of geometry, converting between time-keeping systems, calculating trigonometric functions, basis surveying and more.”

It was at this time that the ser gave an explanation to how one would go about setting the device, using one’s shadow. He also named the various pieces that comprised it, as well as their usage, before offering others to try adjusting some of them. Those gathered seemed intrigued with the device, with Armsman Nazrin trying his hand at the astrolabe. He described it as “almost a work of art in itself.”

The lecture concluded by some discussion on the course of the stars, and the complexities of the astrolabe, which ser Daiomonion assured that though it was complicated, it could be understood. There was more discussion before the denizens separated, to go about their evening.

Those who spent their time in attendance to this demonstration include Armsman Nazrin, sers Daiomonion, Cixes and Izrith, seras Kallistya, Leonore, Oydela and Milani and this chronicler.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections. I humbly ask all readers to please indicate to me discreetly, any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum